You may find some of the following websites useful:
- NHS Direct – includes health information and self-help guides from the NHS.
- BBC Health – general health information and advice from the BBC.
- Patient UK – includes patient information leaflets, self-help groups and web directory.
- MedInfo – providing free and easy to understand medical information and advice.
- The Samaritans– confidential emotional support for people who are experiencing feelings of distress or despair. Telephone: 08457 90 90 90
- SupportLine– confidential emotional support for children, young adults and adults.
- Embarrassing Problems– “straight-talking good advice” on a range of embarrassing problems.
- Teenage Health Freak– advice for teenagers and those who work with them by local doctors Drs Ann McPherson and Aidan Macfarlane.
- Women’s Health Information– information for women and their partners regarding pregnancy choices and some common gynaecological conditions.
- Fit for Travel – Travel Health Information from the NHS.
- Kid’s Health – Kid’s Health from USA, for parents, kids and teens.
- Immunisations – Immunisation Information from NHS.
- MMR The Facts – Extensive information on MMR vaccine from NHS.
Specific Diseases and Conditions
- National AIDS Trust – from UK National AIDS Trust.
- National Asthma Campaign – from UK National Asthma Campaign.
- Back Care – from National Back Pain Association.
- Breast Cancer Campaign – UK Charity researching Breast Cancer.
- Cancer Research UK – Information on cancer.
- Macmillan – Helping people live with cancer.
- Bullying Online – Helping children and their parents with bullying.
- ERIC Online – Education and Resources for Improving Childhood Continence – advice on Bedwetting and Soiling.
- The Pain Research Institute – information on various types of chronic pain.
- The Coeliac Society – information on Coeliac Disease.
- Gluten-free Recipes – Gluten-free Recipes for patients with coeliac disease.
- The National Association for Colitis and Crohn’s Disease – Inflammatory bowel disease information.
- British Diabetic Association – charity to improve the lives of people with diabetes and to work towards a future without diabetes.
- Epilepsy Action – from the British Epilepsy Association.
- British Heart Foundation – information and advice for patients with heart diseases.
- Heart UK – formerly Family Heart Association and British Hyperlipidaemia Association.
- The Royal National Institute for Deaf People – for deaf and hard of hearing people.
- British Liver Trust – the national charity for adult liver disease.
- MIND – Mental Health advice.
- Family Planning Association – Contraception and Sexual Health.
- The National Eczema Society – information for patients of all ages with eczema.
- Stroke Association – Stroke information.
- DVLA – Medical Rules for Drivers.